Monday, February 14, 2011

I've been traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

That's the signpost up ahead, next stop The Twilight Zone.

 
Ok, so back in mid January, I picked up The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection Box Set, which, as expected, is absolutely AWESOME.

Since then, I've found myself spending much too much time analyzing and enjoying this exceptional piece of television history. Rod Serling's narrations drawing me ever deeper to the edge of that 5th dimension. I can't help but admit that it is starting to hinder my ability to focus on the things I should be doing, like say... my papers and readings for classes, and/or my current in-process artwork.

I suppose that I should mention why I love The Twilight Zone so much. Well its a rather simple thing, even though people tend to think of it as simply a Sci-Fi anthology or the like, I consider it more a show of Storytelling and Imagination. And that's what I'm all about, thus I'm hooked.

For instance, one of my favorite episodes, Mr. Denton on Doomsday, is by all means a Western; the tale a town drunk who used to be the crack shot of a boom town. One day Al Denton has his life turned around again by the mysterious appearance of a revolver, and a peddler by the name of Henry J. Fate. I'd speak of it more, but I'd rather tell you to check it out, and see what happens when Fate steps in for yourselves.

In my self-induced marathon, I've made it to about halfway through season 2 currently. This is because I've taken breaks, just to keep myself thinking about stuff I need to get done, but as of right now, I'm on another binge, and its quite fun. I've just seen the first of William Shatner's adventures, not his more legendary, but awesome nevertheless. Its one of many episodes that ask some pretty interesting questions about the ideas of gaining knowledge of the future. Another great one is only a few episodes later (which I'm watching while I'm writing this) features a camera that takes pictures of the future.

Anyway the whole reason I'm writing this is because I've been reminded of one of the reasons I started this blog, not just to show off and document my art, but also to share and discuss the things I think are Super Great. Now, I fully intended to make a Video Series out of it, and hopefully I soon will, but I suppose that's going to have to wait till I figure out where/when I'll have time to actually start writing and shooting. Thus, I may do a few more of these where I ramble about things like episodes of Twilight Zone, Movies, and other cool things I come across that I feel worth mentioning in text form.

While on the subject of Awesome Things I've watched recently, I gotta mention Cee Lo Green and Gwyneth Paltrow's performance of Cee Lo's Forget You (or should I say F*** You?..teehee) at the Grammys was pretty glorious:



I'd like to throw out Props to the Puppet Up!/Stuffed and Unstrung Puppeteers/Puppets from Henson Alternative for their part in the performance. I had the privilege to see Stuffed and Unstrung at UCI's Barclay Theatre in early January was an exceptionally show. Also, if you're wondering where the idea for that wacky costume Cee Lo was wearing came from, check This Clip of Elton John playing Crocodile Rock on The Muppet Show.

Anywho, with all of that covered I suppose I should either go back to trying to start my paper on Peter Saul, or do my reading for my Installation class. But will I? ... I guess I kinda need to.

Bleh.

-MadArtisan

No comments:

Post a Comment